Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flickr


I used the tag feature on Flickr to search for the theme “occupy”. This led me to photograph collection of the Occupy Movement in Eugene, Oregon.  There was a wide variety of images that provided a well-rounded and honest portrayel of the ongoing event.

In one respect, I think that this type of photograph collection tells a story very effectively. I was able to view all aspects of the event, from images of individuals to those of groups, and from behind the scenes preparation to the full-fledged rallies.  I think that this is a major strength because viewers are able to get a feeling of what it would really be like to be at the event, including the parts that are good, bad, and merely mundane.

One possible weakness to this type of photograph collection could be that viewers may not be able to come to an overall consensus of what a given event was like. I already knew a good deal about the Occupy movements, so it was not too hard for me to fill in the blanks and to understand this collection. It may be easier in some cases to understand an event if particular photographs are skillfully selected for viewers.

Overall, I think that Flickr provides a unique and beneficial way to view and share events.  Instead of glorifying an event by only sharing the best photographs and high points, I think there is something very valuable about showing all of the moments in between. The transparancy of this type of album does not cause the viewer to beg any questions or distrust any possible motivations.  This allows an honest and accurate portrayel of events, which should be a main expectation for journalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment